The 2009 version of the FUSE Fest is coming October 3rd (Fresno Urban Sound Experience) and we're pretty damn excited about it.
There will be over 30 Fresno area bands/performers (that doesn't even include the DJ venue) invading Downtown Fresno this year. The venues are mostly focused on the Fulton Mall area so festival goers can walk around to the different spots throughout the night - and downtown businesses can be highlighted.
Yep, those that went to the first festival may have noticed there are many more bands than last year. Speaking of more, the amount of venues have double (that is if a replacement for the loss of Milano can be found).
Things seem to be building from last years success.
So much so it's caught the eye of Fuse.TV. You know, that music television network that's buried in your 500-plus channels so deep you don't even know it's there.
Well, they and their lawyers have sent a cease and desist letter to FUSE Fest. Fuse TV believes Fresno's FUSE is a copyright infringement on their use of Fuse Fest, saying they had it first (even though Fresno's version owns the website) and they're bigger and junk, so give it up.
In other words: Fresno's FUSE Fest comes up first when you google "fuse" and "fest" and that's not cool with a big-old national network.
Creative Fresno (the engine powering this festival) and the FUSE Fest team are currently weighing their options.
MORE FUSE FEST 2009 INFO
- Yes, you heard it right, new this year is the DJ venue. That will be at The Loft and it will be a nice addition, highlighting the deep DJ pool Fresno possess.
- Also new is a pre-party on Friday night (October 2nd) at Full Circle Brew in Chinatown. Many of the bands playing Saturday will have a chance to play a couple stripped down versions of what we can expect the next night. It's also a chance for musicians from different styles to mingle and talk shop in a cool, beer filled, atmosphere.
- Expect the ticket price to be up from last year's, but not much. It's all going back to the bands (and DJs) anyway so feel good about it.
- The after party is again at Tokyo Garden and is expected to be overflowing and awesome.
- Venues currently (subject to change) are: Friday night: Full Circle. Saturday: The Loft. Smokehouse. Club One. Joe's Steakhouse. Hero's. Saturday night: Tokyo Garden.
- The festival is always looking for volunteers.
- The list of bands is being kept a semi-secret so there can be a big "reveal day" - that day is coming soon.
Whatever option is taken by (or forced upon) Creative Fresno and FUSE Fest, it is certain there will be a FUSE Fest this year and in years to come. It just might be named FUSE Fest, RE:FUSE Fest or something completely different.
Doesn't matter, it'll still be our favorite Fresno festival.
[Disclosure: We are on the FUSE Fest commitee and are members of Creative Fresno.]